Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Around the World in One Day

So, I'm here sitting in the Helsinki, Finland Airport. How cool is that? The only time I've ever been out the United States was when I was really little to go to Mexico. And now, in the space of about 37 hours, I get to go to three different countries.  When my parents and I first got to the Phoenix airport, Tuesday night, there was a little bit of confusion. Apparently the tickets for me and the three other girls traveling with me had never been purchased. ILP had gone through most of the process, but didn't submit the order at the very end. Luckily, one of the dads was there early and had it pretty much figured out by the time I got there with my parents. 

The first leg of the journey was from Phoenix to London. That flight was horrible. Mostly because it's impossible to sleep on a plane. The London airport is super confusing, but luckily I do have three other girls with me, so with our four brains combined we were able to figure it out. The London airport is huge! We had to switch terminals when we got there and we had to take a bus, because it was in an entirely different building all the way on the other end of the airport property. We had a 2 1/2 hour layover there, but because our flight in was a little late and because of how confusing it was to find our terminal we actually got to our gate right as they were boarding. The flight attendants actually took away all of our small carry-on suitcases because the flight to Helsinki was packed. So now all of us only have our backpacks and we have to pick up all of our bags in China before we board the ferry to the main land. The Finland airport looks like a glorified Ikea, and we got in pretty late so no food places were open. We're all sitting here eating our Goldfish crackers and chocolate we brought from home. After three meals on an airplane we were ready for some american delicacies. I can't imagine how I'm going to last 4 months! 

Next stop: China!

Pictures coming soon!

*Book of Mormon buddies you should be on Day 3 for Wednesday, February 25!

2 comments:

  1. Missing you so much Julia! I'm glad you are finally finding your way to China! Josh and I read 1 Nephi 4 yesterday and thought it was interesting that even though Laman and Lemuel SAW an Angel of God, they still murmured, Seeing ISN'T believing. So when you are finally in China, you might not believe it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, dad, and I have been reading each day. The thought I had about Laman and Lemuel were that they were the kind of people who only see problems, whereas Nephi was able to see possibilities. Their pessimistic attitudes showed their lack of faith and lack of a testimony and show how important it is to have both of those things in order to make it through life!

    ReplyDelete