Sunday, March 1, 2015

Sunday in China





Someday I'll be really good at coming up with clever names for my blog posts. Not today.

Yesterday (Saturday) the three other volunteers at Jucheng arrived!(Really, really early in the morning). I'm pretty sure I gave them some crusty looks when they woke me up at 1 in the morning, haha! We only slept until about 8 and then we started our day. We met up with the girls from the nearby school for lunch at the food court!!!


Public transportation is the way to go in China, but riding the bus is always an adventure!

Who knew I could use chopsticks so well?!?

After lunch, we headed to the store because on of the girls, Annie, forgot a towel as well. Guess I wasn't the only one. Haha. The prices in China are really great for some things and others, not so much. All of us went in together to buy a straighter and the towel was the same price! After shopping we headed over to KTV! There are KTV's everywhere in China. Instead of going to movies or doing some other form of entertainment the Chinese go to KTV's. You rent out a room that is completely decked out and you sing karaoke for hours. SO. MUCH. FUN! It makes it really fun for us since they have hundreds of English songs, with most of them being very recent and popular in America.


All of us headed back to our apartment and get all of our supplies to take to the school.

The school is huge and beautiful!

We also ate our first meal at the school cafeteria yesterday. That is where we will be eating most of our meals. These past few days have been an exception because the kids have been on break for the Chinese New Year.


I'm loving all of the vegetables they serve. Last night we had cooked cucumber. I never want to eat a cucumber raw again!

Today we weren't able to go to church or listen in on Skype, because we just got here and haven't been able to figure it all out. I was able to get up this morning, though, and catch up on my Book of Mormon reading. I hope you guys are all staying caught up too! 

I love China! It's beautiful here and it's amazing to be experiencing a different culture. The overall smell of China is nauseating. Especially when you pass street food or the fish part of the store. The portion sizes are also huge here, and knowing the size of my stomach it's hard to finish all the food they give me. I don't like wasting and often it's someone else who is dishing out my food for me. Eating large portions, on top of my stomach not being used to all the sauces and spices they use make me even more susceptible to nausea when those smells waft by. 

P.S. For those who were waiting to find out: I did not make it into BYU. I'm not feeling to upset about it because I've been considering doing my mission papers when I get home and this might make the decision process a little easier!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about BYU :( but don't let it get you down. Just have fun for the next couple months and make the most of this experience!

    Just as a side note, not all of your pictures are showing up on the blog post....

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun to hear about your adventure! Sorry about BYU - we're hearing about a lot of kids who didn't get in! Keep up the good work. Love you!

    ReplyDelete